Wednesday, August 7, 2013

5 Things I Learned in July

Well one of the blogs I read every so often has a thing where she encourages everyone to share what they learned the previous month, and she links back to our blogs where we wrote about it. I decided to jump in, and I'm posting early this morning since its only open a few more hours and I am gone all day. Haha. Her site is www.chattingatthesky.com. Emily P. Freeman authors it, and she happens to be the author of one of my favorite books: "Graceful for young women: Letting Go of Your Try Hard Life." Every girl needs to read it.

Basically I'm just supposed to share any random things I learned, meaningful or nor, so here goes!

1.  Gungor is becoming my new favorite Christian band
Beautiful Things is so...beautiful. There's no other way to describe it. The band is unique and full of so much praise. It is quietly infectious. My favorite song is a 3 way tie between that one, Crags and Clay, and This is Not The End. I listen to Crags and Clay to help me fall asleep at night, it's like a lullaby. And This Is Not The End is just so encouraging and happy. Lisa Gungor's vocals are incredible.
"All praises to the One who made it all and finds it beautiful"
Made with recitethis.com

2. Blessings can come in the weirdest ways.
Namely, a miserable cold and a cancelled camp. As some of you know, I went through a period during my summer where I was gone nonstop for almost a month. I went to camp, a mission trip, my grandparent's house...and they were all fun but I was so worn out. I was really excited for a volleyball camp that my team was going to, but my the time I had returned from everything else I didn't feel like I even had the energy to participate. But when I got back from church camp, our coach called us in and informed us that she had accidentally messed up the dates. It was a huge relief. Next thing you know, I'm in bed with a miserable chest cold. But it gave me an excuse to lay around and catch up on sleep and turned out to be a huge blessing in itself.

3. I realized why specifically I always felt a little uneasy about today's swimsuit trends:
http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/index.php?id=2059
 (Everyone watch the video, girls specifically!!)

4. Community is important, breathing room is too.
That whole 3-4 weeks that I was barely home, I was with people. All the time. 24/7. And it was nice, of course, to actually be doing something. Especially with the mission trip, where we were reaching out to people. But we also need to be able to take a step back and evaluate our lives and just spend some deep one-on-one time with God. We can only spend so much time trying to teach others before we need to come back and ensure everything we teach is biblically based. It's like coming back to home base to check in and make sure you're on track. 

5. I've learned to come to terms with the natural state of my hair.
I can't say I really did all that much with my hair this summer, excluding church related activities. So I sort if jut let my hair do whatever it wanted. I went shopping and all sorts of places, never straightening my hair. And doing that so much I realized its not so bad that I can't go in public like that occasionally. It actually sort of straightens itself out..

So there you have it, my top 5! Feel free to share anything random you learned in the comments! And make sure to check out Emily's blog!

Donations are still being taken! The running may be over, but the projects is far from it.

~Haley















No comments:

Post a Comment